Monday, May 4, 2009

The Great Outdoors


Okay, Imagine you are outside in the country...

Close your eyes.....

Take a nice deep breath....

What do you smell?

In Punkin Center, the not-so-pleasant aroma of fresh chicken litter, right out of four (4) Mega Poultry Houses. Lots of people have poultry houses, including my dad around in Alabama. Actually, Georgia, our neighboring state is the 4th leading poultry state in the nation!! Pretty impressive with Poultry Folks. Huh?

There are several different "kinds" of poultry houses you can own. You can grow the baby chickens until they are about 12 weeks old and they are called "broiler" chickens. Then you have the chickens that lay eggs for the baby chickens to hatch from and they are called "breeder" chickens. (It's a good thing we women are not called Breeders. Someone might leave with a black eye.... Did I just say that?) Then you have the "layers". They are the one that lay the eggs that go to the grocery stores.

When Cason was younger we would go out sometimes after it rained and I would exclaim

"UGGG, I hate when they spread the chicken litter!!"

He turned to me one day and took a deep breath in and said,

"It smells like to money to me, momma"

A future argibusiness major maybe?!?

You see the chicken litter is an all natural fertilizer for the hay fields and gardens. It helps make all the grass a vibrant green and makes the hay grow like wildfire. It also keeps the EPA happy with no harmful chemicals to pollute the earth.

Now..... when you have science project due in the 3rd grade about agri-culture you will be well-informed on what kinds of chickens there are, what the fertilizer is used for and what thier "poop" smells like!

I would love to wake up and smell the brisk ocean breeze or evergreen mountain springs from time to time, but right now Punkin Center, USA suits my fancy.....

What smells do you smell in Your Great Outdoors of where you live?

Life is good,
Andrea

2 comments:

  1. Well, if we are lucky enough to get rain, where I live we can smell the creosote trees. Nice smell. If no rain - we just smell smog and exhaust really. But if you travel 10-15 miles from my home you can smell tons of DAIRY Cows - now that should be similar to what you smell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I lived near you for many years I can say I remember that smell very well. You always knew when you were leaving "the country" and you certainly knew when you got home. But Ahhhhhh....nothing like country living!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete