Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Monday Memories (on Tuesday)

Here's a memory that will sure enough make "chill bumps" on you.

When I was a little girl, I had very long hair. All the way to my waist until I was in the 3rd grade. We had this counter next to the stove that my grandmother would let us lay on while she washed our hair in the sink in FREEZING COLD water...

I remember whinning asking her, "Mamaw, Why is the water sooo cold when you wash my hair?"

Her response, " You know what happens to chickens when you put them in hot water don't you?"

I answered, "No"

She said, "All thier feathers fall out, that's why we wash our hair in cold water. We don't want to be bald now do we?"

YIKES!!! I think that would border on the edge of child abuse this day and age..:-)

This was one of many Old Wives Tales she had. Do you have any Old Wives Tales you would like to share? How 'bout Home Remedies (I will be sharing some of those soon too) we all need to know about?

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh such a good tale - well not good for your freezing head but a good story. Old wives tales....hmmm, my mom always told me eating too many peaches and plums would give me worms! She also always told me - nice girls don't call boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just loving all these stories on your blog. ....when I was little, I was told by my girlfriend's mother that if you swallow cat fur, it turns into worms. Honey, I grew up loaded with worms, cause I have had a cat all my life...lol. ( I always thought that lady was a little off her rocker)

    ReplyDelete