Sunday, August 2, 2009

To Run or Not to Run... That is the question

I have to be honest is saying, "I am not an exercise enthusiast!"

Recently, a group of my friends starting joining all these 5K races around Morgan, Lawrence and Cullman County and of course, wanted me to join. Myself not be a party-pooper by no means thought "Hmmm, What they hey... It should be fun and good for me."

Little did I know.... It kicked by bahookey (that's another word for BUTT for those of you that haven't watched the movie Open Season)!!!

I will have to say I have organized a couple of 5K for my church, http://fairviewchurchofgod.blogspot.com/ and with a lot of help from other members the 5Ks were very successful. I think I was only involved because of my organization skills, not that I know anything about running!

I decided that if I didn't want to be a loser I needed to really shape it up and get in shape.

My first purchase...... Shoes!!! Let me just say, "my dogs were barking after the first 5K" because I didn't have the right shoes. So off to FleetFeet, http://fleetfeetsports.com/ I went.

It was a WONDERFUL experience. Not only did they custom fit my feet with the help of a treadmill; it was found that I pronate (my left arch falls in) when I walk... hence, all the "barking my dogs were doing". Who would have ever thought?

So after about 1.5 hours in the store I left with these beauties



You know I mentioned my left foot pronates? Well I had to pick up these babies too


Oh course, the salesman wouldn't let me leave without the newest kind of running socks... I thought to myself.... SOCKS... How much difference could a pair of socks make? But, on the other hand... the guy had been soooo nice and I had been there asking a million questions and took up and HOUR AND A HALF of his time so I said to myself.... BUY THE SOCKS, ANDREA. So here they are...


So, after all that about the shoes, I joined a program call No Boundaries 5K Program, that helps you train with others at your level for 10 weeks. A friend from church, Melanie Eubanks and I are starting on Tuesday and we will train every Monday evening for 10 weeks. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that I can get in a little better shape and not to let finishing at the top become a priority but just finishing be my goal.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Oh, I almost forgot..... Look how good my feet looked in the complete ensemble..(Photo courtesy of Cason Brown:-)

2 comments:

  1. How great to be able to train with a group. I'm not a runner at all, but hope to be back into walking a 3K soon. I have an ankle injury from a hot air balloon accident (really!) and am in the midst of physical therapy. I have been wearing my sneakers non-stop for any walking longer than a block and my walking socks. I almost choked at the price of the socks, but they are so great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, girl! I'm so proud of you. I know you're really gonna love training over these 10 weeks. I would have NEVER thought I would participate in a 5K but now I look forward to the next one on my list:) -Ashley

    ReplyDelete